Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pavlov's Search and Rescue Dog

Every so often I'm watching a TV show and someone will have one of those old Alpha-numeric pagers that go off for some reason or another.  Beep-beep, Beep-beep, Beep-beep...hearing that always reminds me of the numerous years that I carried one of my teams call out pagers.  Back before cell phones with text and email alerts, I had to carry a pager on my belt the size of a cigarette pack (so it seemed to me).  That, with my work pager, and my cell phone and sometimes my multipurpose tool/knife, I felt sort of like Batman!  I was very happy the day that we were able to reconfigure our teams search call out notifications in regards to searches and have the alerts come through to our cell phones/email and I could say goodbye to the pager.

But just because it was gone, it was not forgotten.  One other in my household that remembers those middle of the night pages is my dog, Sirius!  While I'm watching the TV and some important persons pager goes off, Sirius wakes from a deep sleep and gets up expecting me to jump up as well and start the whole process of phone calls and packing up to hit the road for a search.  If he's in another room than I'm watching in he'll come running to make sure I'm getting up.

Maybe one day he'll forget about this sound, but for now he's ready even in his sleep to go to work.


No comments:

Post a Comment