Saturday, May 1, 2010

A Tribute to Hero

A portrait of Hero kindly donated by artist
Liz van der Werff Winchenbach

My first search and rescue (SAR) dog was named Hero.  I worked him for eight years.  He had an untimely death due to cancer at the age of eight.  He was a fabulous dog with a great personality and strong presence.  You could look at him and just see the majesty in him...he just looked like a dog with an important job to do, which he did.  He was was certified in wilderness air-scent and water recovery.  Much about him can be found here, so I thought I'd share some humorous information in this blog.

Once while walking in D.C. with Hero in his SAR vest, some kids saw him from behind me and I overheard one ask another "Look at that dog..  I bet he's smart"...another kid said "how can you tell that?"...to which the first replied, "He's wearing CLOTHES...he has to be smart!"

Hero being made an honorary Cub Scout

Hero did many demonstrations in his time, but usually only once per place or group.  But he did several demos to one Cub Scout Troop in particular in Alexandria.  He kept getting invited back and on his last visit there they made him an honorary Cub Scout complete with a neckerchief and certificate.  I would have thought they would have given him the rank of Wolf Scout, but they gave him the highest Cub Scout rank of Bear.

Before I took Hero on his first plane trip where he would ride in the cabin at my feet, I wanted to test to see how he'd do being in a confined space, with loud noises, and lots of people.  So I took him to the movies!  We saw Scooby Doo.  And of course when part two came out, even though I didn't have a reason, I still had to bring him to see it as well.

Hero
Mar 18th, 1999 ~ Feb 10th, 2008

He had NUMEROUS nicknames.  Some made sense, like "H" or "Ears" (for obvious reasons), but others were not so much: "Pumpkin" being one in particular that I forbad my fiance from ever calling him in public.


Hero got to meet actor Ben Jones who played Cooter on the old Dukes of Hazzard TV show (Click Here).  Ben liked Hero so much, he actually let Hero sit in the General Lee car for a photo op!

Hero & I at the Pyrite Mine overlook in Prince William Forest

No comments:

Post a Comment